A diaper bag is one of the most important things you can buy for your baby. They are pretty essential once you have a little one! You can’t just take baby out without remembering the diapers, the wipes, the bottles, etc. So if you want to leave the house, like ever, you need one. They come in all shapes, sizes, and patterns. They all serve the same purpose. And for a first time mom and dad – choosing one can be a little tricky!
But I have to say, one bag rises above the rest. I know, because I have it…not to brag or anything. But the bag I’m going to be highlighting today deserves all the praise in the world! We just got back from spending the weekend at our friend’s house, so my bag has a couple marks and stains that need to be cleaned up, so please pardon the mess!
My diaper bag is made by Fisher Price, whom I didn’t realize made anything but plastic toys that stab me in the foot in the middle of the night on my kid’s floor after I’m called in for bad dream duty. In case you’re wondering, there’ only one shift for bad dream duty…my shift. HA. Even though it wasn’t MY idea to let our sweet boy watch the original movie, “IT”. Welcome to co-parenting.
Anyways, I was really surprised to find their brand on this bag. I have to say, I originally picked this bag because of its color. It is my absolute FAVORITE color! Seriously, my Keurig is the same beautiful teal color, along with my kitchen back splash, bathroom walls…the list goes on! I love this color! I was actually really unsure about my purchase, standing in the middle of the Babies R’ Us bag aisle, looking at everything. I probably looked incredibly overwhelmed, standing there with my six year old, a very pregnant 8 month belly, and my (trying to be super supportive) husband.
It had, after all, been six (almost seven) years since my last baby. Why were there so many options? The Hubby talked me into getting this bag, simply because of the color and the fact it had pockets. I wasn’t entirely sold, but we got it anyway. We could always return it if need be, right?
After purchasing the Fisher Price Athleisure Tote at the store, I didn’t open the Babies R’ Us bag back up until I was ready to pack myself for my hospital stay/Cesarean delivery. This would be my second go around with a Cesarean. I was incredibly upset about not being able to do the VBAC, and I remember crying as I packed my bag. But as I started to pack everything, I realized JUST how many pockets this thing had…WOW! All the sudden, the details I didn’t bother to even notice in the store came to my attention. And I stopped crying.
I’m sure Fisher Price didn’t market, fabricate, or sell this bag with intention to stop me from being unreasonable in all my pregnant hormonal glory. But I found that, unknowingly, the Hubby and I had actually done the perfect job in getting just the right bag for our family. Here’s a few reasons why this bag is absolutely perfect!
1. Insulated side zip pocket – um, wow! There’s a side pocket (read: you don’t have to go digging through your diaper bag) for bottles, with it’s own icon label on the outside in case you forget what it’s meant for. It’s large enough to fit an ice pack and two slimmer bottles (like medela or dr. brown’s). The pocket is fully insulated to keep bottles cooled! This was great when little J was still a baby for his formula, which needed to be chilled for his reflux.
It’s great nowthat he’s a toddler too, because he drinks cow’s milk which of course has to be refrigerated. It’s really nice to be able to make his bottle before we leave the house, chill it in this pocket with an ice pack for 1-2 hours before we need it, and serve it when we’re ready. I even use it for yogurt pouches, or cut up strawberries for my older son if we are out for the entire day to keep his snack chilled! And the fact that it is located on the side of the bag is great because it is very easy to reach for me – I love not having to dig around for the important stuff.
2. Zip side wipes pocket – I pack my travel wipe containers right in the side pocket. Another easy to reach solution for busy moms! It comes with a plastic wipes container that you can place your own wipes in, or those from the refill wipe bags. I never had luck with those, so it’s great that my travel wipes fit right in. You only have to unzip the pocket, and slip in your wipes. There is a little window in the fabric with makes room for the plastic cover on your wipes to open and close.
That means you can easily grab a wipe for diapers, boogers, spit up, or wiping down the grocery cart handle (because you know that is going right in their mouth if they can help it…ugh).
(I swear, my toddler will NOT let the wipes lid stay on for ANYTHING!)
3. Diaper back pocket – this one is also outside of the diaper bag, as the back pocket. It has a zipper, and a little tag on the outside that has a little diaper symbol. Pretty much labeled for you ;). As far as newborn diapers went, we could fit about 10-14. Now that we are in a bigger size, I can comfortably fit about 6 size 4’s with a large tube of diaper cream! Again, no digging in the interior of the diaper bag for the essentials. Unzip, grab, change, and zip back up when you’re done!
4. Front pocket – this is probably where I keep my phone and keys most of the time. Again, quick and easy finding!
5. Diaper changing pad & pocket – the changing pad that comes with this bag matches the fabric pattern in the interior (very cute) and it is actually padded. When I go to my BFF’s house (she has no carpet anywhere), I can comfortably change him on the floor. There’s a special pocket this changing pad goes in to in the interior of the bag, with an elastic strip and Velcro to latch it closed. This helps keep the inside of the bag available for that extra change of clothes, bibs, breastfeeding cover, or whatever it is you keep in your little’s one’s arsenal.
6. Two interior pockets – I use these for odds and ends, depending on what stage of eating we are in. In the early days, I would keep all my breast feeding accessories here (breast pads, nipple shields, etc). Now you can find baby spoons, plastic bibs, and crackers there! My, how things have changed in such a short period of time! 🙁
7. Pacifier pocket – this is also labeled outside of the pocket to let you know exactly what it is used for. It is a small pocket (perfect size for the binkie!) located right above the diaper pocket. Honestly, I stuff my feminine products in here when need be! No one ever bothers going in that pocket – it’s so small it gets forgotten, and so does any secret I might be hiding away from all these boys in my house, haha!
8. Handles/Messenger bag strap – What I love most about this bag, second only to the insulated bottle/food pocket I mentioned earlier, is the versatility of the handles. As a petite mom, this bag could easily swallow me up, and become really hard to carry. I love the long adjustable strap that helps turn this tote into a messenger bag style of carrying! When I carry it like that, it helps distribute the weight of everything much more easily across my frame than just carrying it with the two main straps.
I find that my hands and arms are much more free, which is great because I am always grabbing extra things on my way out of the door. Most likely the blankets, extra clothes, or the Batman mask. The Batman mask goes everywhere with us. I can have the bag across my back, the baby on my hip, and my remaining hand on the door keys as we are locking up and leaving the house in the morning :).
I feel incredibly lucky to have found this bag, and to have picked it solely on its color, to realize it has much more potential than lookin’ good! Even our pediatrician gushed over the bag at one of our early visits. She saw me easily reach for our wipes to clean up a crusty booger filled nap-time nose, and change a diaper quickly without having to dig through my bag. She immediately commented on how neat my bag was, and actually asked me details on where I purchased it, for how much, and what special features it had.
Once I walked her through everything, now I know what she’s doing when she walks in half an hour late for our appointments ;), she smiled so big and exclaimed that she was going to recommend this bag to all her new mothers because of what a life saver it is. It has really held up to the test of time too, with all the havoc we’ve put it through.
The only thing about the Fisher Price Athleisure Diaper Bag that I didn’t necessarily care for and seemed like “extras” (meaning we did not find any use for them), were the laundry bag with cinched top, and clear plastic…bag? I’m actually not sure what the clear plastic thing is for. It almost seems like something you would place a piece of paper in for laminating? Haha….but seriously, it reminds me of my days working in an office. And the laundry bag probably seemed like a good idea for marketing, considering how many dirty clothes babies go through, but was just something I found unnecessary! It might be something you really enjoy about this bag though.
I’m very sad to say it is no longer available at Babies R’ Us – I’m sure they change out their bags every season to keep up with the demands of fashion. But I have included an affiliate link to Amazon! Feel free to click and check it out 🙂
Would you try the Athleisure Tote? Let me know in the comments below!
*I did not receive any compensation from Fisher Price for my review of their Athleisure Diaper Bag. My review was based solely on genuine appreciation for a well made product that served my family so well! I highly recommend this diaper bag to everyone, please consider it if you are in the market for one.
Pin this post for a friend to read, and grab your FREE Printable (One Week To Becoming A Better Parent)!